Life in the rear-view mirror

Life in the rear-view mirror

søndag 8. april 2012

The dead drive SUVs


I figured I'd try to write some fiction. Shortest story I ever wrote. So, here it goes:

I’m walking in the dark. I’ve made a habit of it, since I decided it was time to tackle my fear of the dark, my fear of the unseen. The sound of church bells is mixed in with the wind. It’s late… strange time for church bells… maybe I imagined them. The air is thick, white, foggy. It feels like the sort of night anything can happen. Like the wind tunnel between life and death has been reversed and creatures and creations of different sorts and dispositions might cross paths with the living. The air is thick and heavy and alive. Like static energy just waiting to be triggered. Like a million unclaimed thoughts waiting for someone to inhabit. To change, even overtake. I found a though like that one day, it’s still with me, showing me things I didn’t see before. I like it, but one is enough, so I pull my hood over my ears, shut my mouth and keep my eyes wide open. Keeping an eye out, but also keeping the wind out. In front of me, I can see the church now. It glows frantically in the dark under it’s floodlights. I cringe at the sight, but I know that in the light of day you can see the woodwork rotting away. My mind has long since rejected the idea of organized religion anyway. Now I just follow my own nose. The light inside the church is on and from the gates I can see that the big key is still in the lock. My instinct is to step up, lock the door, pocket the key and walk away. But I don’t, I stay outside today. I suddenly spot a figure in the dark. Our eyes meet. His face is still and straight like the face of a statue. But his eyes are alive and almost glowing. The eyes of a predator I think to myself. I don’t avert my gaze, but I angle my face away and narrow my eyes. I know the deal and he’s got no business with me so I step away from the gates and continue on my walk along the road parallel to the churchyard wall. When I reach the parking lot, I’m met by the empty gazes of cars. It’s full. Strange. I stand there for a moment, wondering whose cars these are. I hear something behind me, sounds like the wind. I turn around and almost jump at the sight of a white bus emerging from the fog, heading my way. I just stand there and look at it approaching. It’s empty except from the driver. He smiles and waves as the bus pass me, but I don’t recognize him. Strange. As he pulls into the parking lot, I quickly walk away. A strange night indeed.


_______________________________________________________________________________


I've tried to get some opinions on this story. Here's what I've gotten:



Some even suggested that I might need professional help….



I’ve got one fan though ;)


Lotte is awesome! Always so supportive :P 






Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar